top of page


Public·47 members

Can You Buy Savings Bonds At A Bank

This page focuses on buying for yourself or a child whose account is linked to yours. If you are planning to give a savings bond as a gift, also see our page on Giving savings bonds as gifts. You can print a certificate announcing your gift. See our selection of announcement cards.

can you buy savings bonds at a bank


In any one calendar year, you may buy up to $10,000 in Series EE electronic savings bonds AND up to $10,000 in Series I electronic savings bonds for yourself as owner of the bonds. That is in addition to the amount you can spend on buying savings bonds for a child or as gifts.

The money your employer sends each time goes into a special Payroll Savings Plan Certificate of Indebtedness (C of I) in your TreasuryDirect account. Every time the balance in that specific C of I is large enough to buy the bond you chose at the amount you chose, we issue you that type of savings bond for that amount.

For example: If you want to buy $50 Series I savings bonds and you ask your employer to send $25 from each paycheck to your TreasuryDirect account, we issue a $50 bond for you after every other payday. You don't have to think about it again or do anything else. You keep getting more savings bonds automatically until you change or end your Payroll Savings Plan.

We may issue multiple bonds to fill your order. The bonds may be of different denominations. We use $50, $100, $200, $500, and $1,000 bonds. Again, the amount of your purchase can be any multiple of $50, from $50 to $5,000. You need to tell us only the amount. We determine denominations.

On Form 8888, you also specify who will own the bonds. That means, you can give paper savings bonds to yourself or to anyone else (as a gift). If you have enough money in your refund, you can buy multiple bonds and, if you wish, you can give them multiple registrations.

For electronic savings bonds as gifts, both you and the recipient must have a TreasuryDirect account. TreasuryDirect is the official United States government application in which you can buy and keep savings bonds.

You can gift a savings bond to adults or children. A child under 18 can have a TreasuryDirect account if the child's parent or other adult custodian has a TreasuryDirect account and sets up a linked account for the child.

Unlike the other types of Treasury securities, savings bonds can be owned by kids. Also, savings bonds are non-marketable, which means they are registered to a specific owner and cannot be bought and sold to other people in the "secondary market" by brokers and dealers. Paper savings bonds used to be bought in different denominations. Bonds were available with a face value of $25, $50, $75, $100, $200, $500, $1000, $5000 and $10,000. You could buy them from most commercial banks in paper form or directly from the Treasury Department in electronic form. Savings bonds that are electronic can be bought for as little as $25 or any amount up to $5000 and held in a secure TreasuryDirect account.

Since January 1, 2012, paper savings bonds are no longer available at banks or other financial institutions. Paper Series I bonds can still be bought with IRS tax refunds, but Series EE bonds are available only in electronic form.

When you used to buy a paper Series EE bond, you paid half the face value for the bond. Now, you pay the total face value for electronic EE bonds. At the end of the savings bond's term, you cash it in. Regardless if you paid half or total face value, you will get the face value plus the interest that has built up over the years. You can cash in your bond after one year from buying it and get back the money you paid for it. You will not get all the interest that has built up if you cash in a savings bond before it is five years old.

You can request the IRS or your state tax department to deposit your tax return directly into your TreasuryDirect account where you can use the funds to purchase savings bonds or marketable Treasury securities. All you need to do is provide TreasuryDirect's routing number and your TreasuryDirect account number in the refund instructions on your tax return.

Note: The three purchase limits above apply separately. That is, in a single calendar year you could buy $10,000 in electronic Series EE bonds, $10,000 in electronic Series I bonds, and $5,000 in paper Series I bonds.

The most important thing to remember about purchasing marketable bills, notes, bonds, Floating Rate Notes, or TIPS is that the limits are set for each auction, not by year. The limit for noncompetitive purchases is $10 million for each security type and term, for each auction. This limit applies regardless of whether you're buying a bill, note, bond, Floating Rate Note, or TIPS, and regardless of what method you use to make the purchase (TreasuryDirect, broker, or dealer).

The education tax exclusion permits qualified taxpayers to exclude from their gross income all or part of the interest paid upon the redemption of eligible savings bonds, when the bond owner pays qualified higher education expenses at an eligible institution.

To qualify for the exclusion, the bonds must be Series EE or Series I savings bonds issued after 1989 in your name, or, if you are married, they may be issued in your name and your spouse's name. Note: A bond bought by a parent and issued in the name of his or her child under age 24 does not qualify for the exclusion by the parent or the child.

If you only look at the rate your savings bonds are earning, they may not seem like a competitive investment at first. But when you factor in all the tax advantages, your bonds are earning more than you think.

If you want to switch from deferred reporting to annual reporting of interest, you must do it for all your savings bonds. You must also report all interest earned up to the year of the change in reporting procedure. If you later wish to change from annual reporting to deferred reporting, either attach to your tax return a statement asking for this change or submit IRS Form 3115 (the fee for the form is waived in this case). See IRS Publication 550 for details.

It's important to register your bonds correctly. Registrations for Series EE and I Bonds, both electronic and paper bonds, can vary, so it's a good idea to find out how to register each type of bond. View information about registrations for EE and I Savings Bonds.

Savings bonds can be registered to trusts in the name of the trustee of a personal trust estate. Personal trust estates are defined in the governing regulations as trust estates established by natural persons in their own right for the benefit of themselves or other natural persons in whole or in part, and common trust funds comprised in whole or in part of such trust estates.

Savings bonds reissued to a personal trust estate are no longer issued in paper form but, instead, are issued as electronic bonds in TreasuryDirect. See information about trust registrations for electronic bonds.

When Series HH or H bonds are reissued to a trust, the new owner must certify that the taxpayer identification number is correct and must not be subject to backup withholding. Certification is accomplished by completing an IRS Form W-9 or a similar certification statement on FS Form 1851 (reissue application).

When Series HH bonds bearing issue dates of October 1989 and after are reissued to a personal trust, a trustee must complete and sign an SF 1199A providing the appropriate direct deposit information for semiannual interest payments.

When savings bonds are registered in the name of a trust, the trustee(s) requests payment. The bonds should be submitted to Treasury Retail Securities Services, PO Box 214, Minneapolis, MN 55480-0214.

The most common way to buy savings bonds is to go straight to the US Government, and as of a few years ago, it can only be done online. Though savings bonds may not be as flashy as some other investments, they can still be a solid choice if looking for something long-term. The U.S. Treasury Department issues these extremely low-risk investments to help fund various projects of the federal government. There are a few different methods of buying savings bonds, but a financial advisor can help if you have specific questions.

Savings bonds, regardless of type, come with minimal risk. The U.S. federal government backs them, a fact that affords them ample protection. In turn, they are especially great choices for any risk-averse investors looking to pad their existing assets over the long-term. But even the safe nature of these bonds comes with its downsides.

Asset allocation and diversification principles dictate that portfolios should contain a balance of investment types. Savings bonds definitely have a place within this philosophy, but they are far from the options with the highest return potential. Unfortunately, though, investment types that have better potential often come with higher risk levels.

Savings bonds fall under the umbrella of fixed-income securities. These are investments that usually come with fixed interest rates and provide consistent returns. But there is more than one style of a fixed-income security, as municipal bonds, corporate bonds and exchange-traded funds (ETFs) also fit the bill.

Nowadays, savings bonds operate in much the same way. You still provide a loan to the government at very low risk. But now, bonds are sold primarily online through instead of with paper certificates you can hide beneath your bed.

How do savings bonds compare to other savings vehicles? And, more importantly, are they the right choice for your needs? Traditional savings and money market accounts allow you to earn interest and access your money right when you need it. Bonds, on the other hand, grow slowly in value and are worth the most after 20 to 30 years.

Yes, you can. When you file your tax return, you can tell the IRS you want to save part or all of your refund and have the rest sent to your checking account. You can save part or all of your refund by submitting Form 8888, Allocation of Refund (Including Savings Bond Purchases)PDF when you file your return. Follow the instructions on Form 8888 to tell the IRS to make a direct deposit of the amount you designate to an IRA, to buy U.S. savings bonds, to make a direct deposit to a savings or checking account or other savings vehicles, or to request a paper check. 041b061a72


Welcome to the group! You can connect with other members, ge...
Group Page: Groups_SingleGroup
bottom of page